Monday, January 7, 2008

Polly Harrington's e-mail from 1-6-08

1/6/08 Beside The Still Waters I accidently clicked on "send" instead of "save". How I wanted to end my email was to say that I still look forward to serving with you and this team. I believe we have come to know each other and bond as a team. Respectfully, Polly

On Jan 6, 2008 12:36 PM, Polly Harrington <polly.harrington@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Ed and Phil,

After much internal wrestling, prayer and listening to my team members thoughts yesterday, I have decided that the right decision for me is to not go to Kenya at this time. As I said yesterday, I have a heart and a passion for serving to equip the Christian leaders God has called to preach and teach the Gospel in their respective countries. I am saddened and concerned by the unrest in Kenya at this time. My heart goes out to those who have been injured, displaced or worse and whatever we can do from this country and from Grace to ease the burden for them, I am all for and will support. However, I strongly believe that it is not safe or prudent for Americans to travel to Kenya at this time. And I do not believe that even if a resolution were found today that life would "normalize" before January 17. I support the plan to postpone our trip until September and the start of the new semester at NEGST. I appreciate the consideration that has gone into your quest to see the truth of the situation from our contacts in Kenya, your caution, and your desire to hear our concerns yesterday. There are many factors that enter into my decision: ours is not a humanitarian mission that must happen now, unrest can settle and then flare up again, the State Department warning against travel in Kenya, transportation interruptions, food shortages, and not the least of which is what I sense God telling me to do. Please know that I trust you as leaders, and I trust God more. What I sense God firmly impressing on my heart is to wait. NEGST will be there in September, the students will be there in September, and the warring tribes and political leaders will have ample time (we can all pray and hope) to really find a new and peaceful way to co-exist. Should you decide to postpone the trip to September, count me in!!!

On Jan 6, 2008 12:01 PM, Fischer, Ed < edwin.fischer@qwest.com > wrote:
Dear Team,

Are you a sycamore tree for the people in your life? What are the things in your life that presses against you?

Ed Fischer
Qwest Communications
Global Account Manager
Government and Education Solutions
410-694-4745 Office
410-299-1947 Cellular
edwin.fischer@qwest.com


January 6

Crowds and Sycamore Trees

For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost. Luke 19:10

Why couldn't Zacchaeus see Jesus? Besides being short, he had a crowd pressing against him. We all face obstacles when we try to see Jesus. What is the crowd that presses against you? For some, it is the radio, TV, drink, drugs, or immorality. Others are pressed by their jobs and other legitimate cares of life.

Another thing that presses against us is our own carnal nature. Our selfish nature may keep us from seeing Jesus, and we begin to feel like Zacchaeus; we can't see Jesus because the crowd gets in the way. Do we give up in despair, or do we look around to find a sycamore tree? If we have faith, we will soon find one. Important "sycamore trees" are God's Word, prayer, hymns, and faithful brethren. Think of more "trees" in your life that have helped you to see
Jesus.

Are you a "sycamore tree" for others who want to see Jesus? The only way many people in this world ever see the Gospel is in the lives of Christians. Are you willing to share a few words for the Lord? Can you point those lost in the crowd to the One who can save their souls? Give an encouraging word to the discouraged. Lend a helping hand to the burdened. We need to remember our first calling in life is to serve God—which means serving others.

Today the crowd will press you. Remember, God still has "sycamore trees." And don't forget to look for ways in which you can be a "sycamore tree" for others.

Daniel Kuhns, Farmington, NM

Am I a part of the crowd or a sycamore tree?

No comments: