Thursday, January 3, 2008

Dr. Chet Wood's perspective

Dear Ed,

Greetings. Not being on the ground makes it difficult for me to say much. We did live through a similar experience about ten years ago. The wisdom then was to stay on campus if there is trouble. That would re-arrange some of your plans! But we were safe and I would think you would also be safe.

My prayer is that there will be some substantial mediation by next Monday. Bishop Tutu is there. I understand the Attorney General has called for some sort of audit of the election (of course he is a Kibati appointee!). I don’t think the situation will unravel, but Africa is not always predictable. So, I would take advice from folk on the ground as you are wisely doing, wait a few days and then make a decision about postponement.

You are getting a real taste of working in Africa!

Chet

No comments: